You no doubt spend a lot of money supporting and maintaining a pool, whether you are lucky enough to have one under your roof, you enjoy an in-ground pool in your yard, or you’ve opted for an above-ground product that offers some versatility in terms of placement, removal, and so on. No matter what type of pool you have, you’re going to face costs for things like cleaning, repairs, and heating, not to mention adding water as it evaporates. Having a pool is fun and it can definitely add value to your home, but there’s just no getting around the fact that it’s expensive.
Luckily, there are smart steps you can take to lower costs, and using a solar swimming pool cover is one of them. Solar swimming pool covers, also known as solar blankets, are drawn over the surface of the water to keep the heat in, thereby cutting costs. But you might not realize all the advantages to be gained by using this type of product. Here are a few benefits you’re sure to enjoy.
- Convert and conserve heat. Solar blankets are designed with a couple of purposes in mind. Like most swimming pool covers, they help to preserve the set temperature of the water. When the air is cooler than the water in the pool, having a blanket over the top will help to halt heat transfer that could make your water colder than you want it to be, forcing the heat pump to keep working to maintain the water temperature you have set. In addition, however, solar pool covers absorb the thermal energy that comes from the sun’s rays and transfer it to the water below, giving your heaters a break.
- Save money on heating costs. When your pool cover is not only working to stop the heat in the water from escaping, but also to convert the sun’s rays into a sustainable heating source, you’re going to see your utility bills go down. And considering these products could cost you as little as $30-50 (for standard sizes of blankets), you stand to earn back anything you spend pretty quickly in energy savings.
- Slow evaporation. Pretty much any pool cover is going to be useful when it comes to slowing the inevitable evaporation that occurs when your water is left open to the air, so you might as well get one that has the many added benefits provided by a solar blanket. This isn’t to say that your water won’t evaporate at all while your pool is covered, but once you start rolling out the cover when the pool is not in use, you’re likely to notice that you don’t have to refill the pool with water as often.
- Keep out debris. Pool covers are a great way to stop leaves, dirt, pollen, and other debris from drifting in and dirtying up your water. They can also keep water fowl at bay. And this means when you do roll back the cover for a dip, you’ll find your water clean and clear.
- Save money on maintenance. If it’s not enough that your swimming pool cover helps you to save on heating costs, you’ll be happy to hear that it also has the potential to lower what you pay for maintenance. If you’re diligent about using it, you’ll see less debris in the pool, as well as lower levels of evaporation. So whereas you might normally pay your pool service provider to come out once a week for cleaning and maintenance, you could cut back to every couple of weeks, or even once a month when you use a solar blanket. Whether you paid for a custom-designed pool or you opted for a high-quality kit from Royal Swimming Pools, you probably want to preserve your investment for your own use and for a future home sale. But that doesn’t mean you have to overpay to maintain it. And a solar pool cover can help.