Having a big backyard is both a blessing and a curse. For one thing, you have almost too much space to landscape, which can be frustrating. Also, lawn care can be a hassle – a serious hassle. However, having a large outdoor space can also be like a blank canvas – at least that’s the way you should look at it. Simply look at your outdoor space like an unfinished masterpiece and it will be easier to get creative. When it comes to care and maintenance, however, you need a few tips, because it can be hard to find a way to efficiently care for a backyard that big. Here are five time-saving lawn care and maintenance tips for a large backyard.
- Automatic irrigation. Obviously, watering that much flora – especially grass – can be a nightmare if you have just a hose to work with. What you really need is an automatic irrigation system. Sprinklers can work wonders if you want to let your lawn take care of itself – with some systems, you can program daily or weekly waterings automatically. If you have special plants or flowers, you can create different schedules for different parts of your lawn, which will keep your backyard continually looking beautiful.
- Use the power of a motorized lawn mower – with wheels. Mowing your lawn with a pushcart mower and dull blades will take you all day. With a motorized mower – one with wheels – you will be able to cover much more ground. In fact, you will be able to mow your lawn in a fraction of the time that it would take you with a pushcart mower. If you have multiple acres of grass, this may be the only way to properly mow your lawn.
- Hire a landscape company. Most people have trouble landscaping a small backyard, so you can imagine what it would be like with a large backyard. This is where a landscaping company, like Vivid Lawns, will come in handy. Hiring a landscape company will allow you to get the lawn you always envisioned. Also, specialized landscapers and designers will understand the need for easy maintenance, which is perfect for the homeowner with not a lot of time on his or her hands.
- Plant grass that is more impervious to drought and extreme weather conditions. When it comes to finding a grass for your lawn, you want to find a variety that has been bred to stand up to the challenge of various seasons. Also, these grass varieties have been designed to absorb more water, which means you don’t need to irrigate as often.
- Grow natural trees and plants. Going natural is often the best way to go when it comes to large backyards, because natural means the plants will grow on their own – without much help. So, it may be wise to find some native plant varieties that will flourish in your backyard. In the end, if you want to keep your outdoor space looking verdant and beautiful, natural is always the best way to go.