Although there are a lot of gases, chemicals and toxins that are considered to be harmful, one of the deadliest is carbon monoxide. The reason why is because since it is odorless, colorless and tasteless, oftentimes people are unaware of the fact that it is in their system until it has caused symptoms like severe headaches or it has actually become fatal.
If you’re curious to know about some of the things that you can do in order to prevent carbon monoxide from posing a threat to you or your family, here are five things that you can do in order to make your home a safer carbon monoxide-free place.
Check your detectors. The first thing that you should do in order to prevent carbon monoxide from seeping into your home is purchase some detectors. There should be one that goes in every hallway in your house, preferably close to where you and your family sleep. Once they are installed, check them a couple of times per month just to make sure that they are on and their batteries have not died.
Inspect your chimney. If you happen to be fortunate enough to have a fireplace in your house, this is also something that you should inspect. You need to make sure that your flue pipes and chimney do not have any gaps or signs of blockage. It’s also important to keep in mind that when you’re actually using your chimney, the damper or flue needs to be open at all times.
Make sure your appliances are well-ventilated. It’s not uncommon during extreme weather temperatures that people will add more insulation to their attics. It’s also something that many individuals do while they are remodeling their home. If you can relate to either situation, it’s essential that your appliances and your heating equipment have all of the ventilation that they need. If they don’t, that’s just one more way to make yourself susceptible to carbon monoxide poisoning.
Use “heat” properly. Speaking of providing ventilation for your heating equipment, here’s something to keep in mind during the wintertime. If you like to use space heaters during that time of year, make sure that you thoroughly read the instructions before operating them. Also, if they are shorting out or do not seem to be working properly, don’t try and fix them on your own. It really is best to call a professional over to look over them to make sure there is no faulty wiring or leaks.
Don’t run your car in a closed garage. When it comes to what causes carbon monoxide poisoning , perhaps the most common cause is when people leave their car running in the garage. When your car is on, what goes out into the atmosphere is carbon monoxide. Therefore, when your car is running in a closed-in space, it can put you at risk for carbon monoxide poison. That’s why your vehicle should be turned off as soon as you pull into your garage every time. For tips on how to reduce carbon monoxide emissions, visit The Guardian and put “reduce carbon monoxide emissions” in the search field.