When it comes down to it, hiring service contractors that won’t scam or over charge you can be incredibly difficult. Not only that, but searching through all the classified listings, gathering bids, and checking references can be a huge headache. Thus, it is important that you find a way to simplify the process. Well, luckily there are some easier ways for homeowners to find reliable contractors. Whether you want to remodel your roof, install new floors, or update your plumbing system, you want to keep in mind that there is a specialized job for every aspect of your home remodeling plans, so you want to be careful when hiring someone to work on your home. Here are five ways for homeowners to find and select reliable service contractors.
- Ask for three references and hire based on those references. Instead of calling fifty difference references, make sure to ask for three and base your hiring decisions off of those references. If each reference checks out, that is a big plus. However, the types of references they give carry a lot of weight as well. It’s imperative that they come from people who can truly speak to his or her qualifications.
- Make sure to read online reviews. You can usually tell that a specialized contractor is the right when their online reviews are promising. You can usually search for a certain service and for contractors in your area. In most cases, you will get a list of results with a number of peer reviews – and maybe even a star rating. You want to read the reviews carefully, just because a contractor has offered amazing services to one customer doesn’t mean that they specialize in the work you need done for your home. This is why you want to be sure to pay close attention to the details of each review. Also, be sure to pay close attention to suspicious language that makes it look like the contractor is generating their own five-star reviews.
- Use a networking service. Using a networking service, like Puget Services, can make the entire process of hiring a reliable service contractor so much easier. These services basically allow you to type in your desired job – from Christmas light installing to reinstalling rain gutters – and then you can type in your desired budget and a number of other details. All you have to do is hit enter and you will get a list of contractors.
- Look in the phone book. Yes, this is an old fashioned way to find a service contractor, but it can be really effective. Most phone book companies require contractors to be registered before they can place a classified. The same goes for newspapers – you can often find legitimate contractors by going this rather antiquated route.
- Ask someone you know. There is a good chance that you have a close friend, coworker or relative that has hired a service contractor in the past, so if you have a specific job that needs to get done, there is a good chance that you can find a reliable contractor by going through someone you know rather than someone you don’t know. In the end, if someone close to you can vouch for a contractor, it is pretty much a sure bet that the contractor knows what he or she is doing.