Statistics show that a home break in occurs every thirteen seconds. Each year, millions of burglaries are reported and millions of dollars worth of property is lost forever. The scariest figure is that homes without an alarm system are a shocking 300% more likely to get broken into. This is why choosing an alarm system is so important. Whether you live in the city or in the suburbs, no one is “immune” to a potential home invasion. When it comes down to it, choosing a home alarm system is easy if you know exactly what to look for. Here are five tips for choosing a home alarm system to keep your family safe and secure.
- Make sure that the company you choose has plenty of experience. It takes a long time for a company to become comfortable and experienced when patrolling and securing homes. Some newer companies don’t have the same track record and they are still getting over the typical startup hurtles, like computer crashes and other issues. For instance, the IHA ADT alarm system company has been around for nearly 140 years and they are one of the most trusted companies in the industry.
- Make sure that your system monitors your home twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. It goes without saying that you don’t want a company that will only monitor your home part time. A burglar can break in at any time – it isn’t always at night; it could be at work, while you are away on vacation or while you are out and the kids are at home with a sitter. When speaking to companies, make sure that their control centers are always open.
- Make sure to get more from your home security system. Some systems offer more than just protection from break ins, they also offer carbon monoxide, moisture and freeze sensors so that your home is protected from any potential disaster. When it comes to carbon monoxide, the gas can be more deadly than a burglar – because you won’t hear the sound of glass breaking when the air inside your home becomes saturated. Carbon monoxide is invisible and odorless, so it is critical to have a warning system.
- Make sure that you have all the most advanced equipment. These days, smartphones allow you to do a lot – including monitor your home. When you sign up for a home security system, you may want to ask about the added benefit of downloading a special application that allows you to watch and patrol your home from the comfort and convenience of your smartphone or tablet.
- Make sure that you discuss rates and discounts. Any good home security system should offer you a discount for signing up. Also, the rates should be affordable and manageable. A home security company shouldn’t only be interested in bilking customers – they should be focused on making sure your home and family is safe. In the end, the rates of a certain home security system will reflect the company’s trustworthiness.