Is your outdoor living space boring? How about messy and unorganized? If you answered yes to either – or both – of those questions, it may be time for an update. While the fall and winter may be fast approaching, you are still going to be forced to look at your outdoor space through your window. If you live in a region with a more moderate climate, there may be a warm weekend or two where you may want to spend some time outdoors with friends and family. When it comes down to it, updating your outdoor living space is actually very easy and you don’t have to put hours of work into the process, or thousands of dollars. Here are five easy ways to update your outdoor living space.
- Clean up. One of the easiest ways to update your outdoor living space is to clean up the yard. Cleaning up includes removing unnecessary items, like old mulch bags, kid’s toys, and dog bones – anything that is polluting the visual aesthetic. You may even want to mow the lawn.
- Add a flowerbed. Flowers can add a beautiful hint of color to your yard and outdoor space. Not only that, but flowers have a scent that can make your outdoor space even more pleasant to spend time in. The best part is that building a flowerbed is easy – all you need is some nutrient rich soil and a designated area in your back or front yard that won’t be damaged by foot traffic or bone-digging dogs. After you prep the soil, you can choose a few flower varieties that you can plant and watch grow.
- Include some outdoor furniture. Furniture can also add something special to your outdoor space. If you think about it, your backyard is a little bit like an outdoor living room, so why shouldn’t it be furnished? You can include a table, a couple of chairs and maybe a lounge that people can relax in when the weather is nice. To find the best outdoor furniture, simply search online by using your town and state in the query – like “Brookline, MA outdoor furniture” – and you will get a number of results.
- Build a covered patio. Covered patios can also add a whole new layer of aesthetic value to your backyard. Plus, you don’t have to build a covered patio from scratch. In fact, you can purchase pre-made patios are incredibly simple to construct. A patio will not only keep you protected from the sun, but it can also be a great way to create a roomier feel for your outdoor space.
- Place a sculpture. A simple sculpture – creatively placed – can also make an outdoor space come to life. If you can’t afford a more expensive marble or travertine sculpture, you could make a sculpture yourself with some pretty basic materials. Just like you hang art on your walls – a sculpture is like art for your outdoor space. In the end, a sculpture can also create a visual focal point that can tie your entire outdoor living space together.