When you are gearing up to move, the excitement and anticipation is often all you can think about. Then, packing begins, and you begin to dread the process and all of the negative connotations packing often implied. Most people hate packing simply because they don’t have a plan or a strategy. Knowing how to pack effectively will help to ensure the process runs smoother so you can get into your new home without the frustration. Here are 5 tips for stress-free packing when you are moving into a new home.
- Before you even think about packing, dejunk! Moving is the ideal time to unload all of those items you have accumulated over the year, but you don’t really use. Get rid of items sitting around in your attic or garage. You may donate them or even sell them for a bit of cash at a garage sale or a second hand shop. You will feel more organized and maybe even a little bit lighter! The pest part of dejunking is that you have less to pack!
- Prepare for your move with the right tools. You will of course need to load up on boxes. You can buy these from a moving company, or you may even be able to get some for free from liquor stores or grocery stores who will be happy to have them off their hands. in addition to ample boxes (probably at least 10 more than you think you need), you will want to have packing tape, newspaper or bubble wrap,
- Keep track of everything you pack up by keeping lists. This does take a little bit of extra time, but it will be worth it once you get to your new place and start to unpack. Lists can help you keep track of your possessions so that things don’t go missing or even get stolen in transit. Lists will also help you find things more readily instead of sifting through tons of boxes to find one thing.
- Box items based on which room of the house they are meant for. Keep all bedroom items together such as blankets, linens, and more. Also keep kitchen accessories in the same box, and bathrooms items as well. This will make unpacking more logical and less frustrating. A great way to keep track of which box goes to which room is to use a color coding process to label the boxes. Use a yellow sticker to indicate garage items, a blue sticker for bathroom items, and an orange sticker for kitchen accessories.
- Lastly, make sure each member of your family packs a box of things that they will need immediately once you move. These personal boxes can ensure that each person has essential items readily available like a toothbrush, phone charger, towel, bed linens and more. Personal boxes are convenient and reduce moving stress for everyone.
While moving is a time consuming and detailed process, some simple tips, tricks and planning can make the move smooth and organized. Whether you move on your own or with the help of the professionals at Town to Town Moving Company, you will be glad you took advantage of these tips.